History: 1985-1990

1985-86

OFFICERS:

President: Gary Lentz

Vice-President: Bert Reynolds

Past President: Phyllis Stanfield

Recording Secretary: LaDonna Lovett

Membership-Treasurer: Colleen DiBiase

In-Service: Scott Weingart

Contests and Awards: Kerry Benson

Workshop Director: Bill DeCoursey

Junior High: Gloria Hinkleman, Jill Farkas

State JEA Director:  Michael Fox

Convention: Michael Fox

Area Coordinators: Diane Braden, Michael Fox, Pam Brown, Dennis Hansen,

Executive Secretary: John Sowers

English Credit for Journalism:  Carmen Wendt, then Tony Gomez

Forest Martin Award:  Phyllis Stanfield

Fall Convention: Doubletree in Tucson; Michael Fox, Santa Rita High School, was the chair.

Spring Contest:  Winners were Greenway for Division One; Apache Junction in Division Two. Since this was Greenway’s third win, they got to keep the trophy.

AIPA Summer Workshop:  The 27th Annual AIPA Publications Workshop was held at Northern Arizona University from Aug. 4-10.  Attendance was 164 high school students the with five graduate students enrolled concurrently in the workshop and an NAU course. In addition there were 22 adult faculty, counselors and staff and six student staffers in attendance.

Board Business: 

Membership:  74 schools, 55 newspapers, 57 yearbooks

Board believes AIPA should work hard on English credit for journalism

A motion was passed to give books to an investigating public agency that will best handle the possible discrepancies in AIPA accounts from 1981-1985.

A motion was made, and passed, to recognize that Bill DeCoursey is not responsible for any workshop monies before the time he was appointed by the board, except for the monies that were transferred to him for the 1984-85 summer workshop.

A motion was passed to create a triangle of  people to check the books each year: The President, Treasurer and Workshop Director should meet yearly as a check system instead of an auditor each year.

-Updated by Faith Harris, January, 2001

1986-87

OFFICERS:

President: Bert Reynolds

Vice-President: Tony Gomez

Past President: Gary Lentz

Secretary: LaDonna Lovett

Treasurer: Colleen DiBiase

In-Service: Dennis Hansen

Contests: Chuck Knoles

Workshop Director: Bill DeCoursey

Junior High: Jill Farkas

Area Coordinators:  Yvonne Lopez, Kerry Benson, Patty Muller, Bob Grossman

Executive Secretary:  John Sowers

Forest Martin Award: Marjorie Conder

Fall Convention:  Gary Lentz chaired – Central Arizona College

Spring Convention:  Held at NAU on April 3 and 4, 1987.  Registration cost was $20.  385 students and 51 advisers attended; 344 contest entries received.

AIPA Summer Workshop:  Held at NAU on Aug. 2-8. 135 students attended. The workshop made $35,705.

Board Business:

Michael J. Fox reported a profit of $8,406.08 from the JEA National Convention in Tucson.

A new contest policy was formulated to place convention contest emphasis on the learning experience provided each individual contestant rather than a school winning. There will be no sweepstakes, and no first, second, or third place winners.  Entries will be judged and students will receive certificates, Superior, Excellent, and Honorable Mention for good entries.

Because of unusual circumstances surrounding the IRS bill, Rep. Morris Udall may help to apply pressure to have this bill set aside.

A motion was made, and passed, …That workshop financial matters prior to 1985 be turned over to the Tempe Police Department for a criminal investigation and that if a crime is uncovered that AIPA is willing to prosecute and aid in prosecuting and will appear in court as necessary.

A Constitutional Change Committee was approved.

JEA conventions Chicago on Nov. 21-23 and Portland on April 10-12

AIPA  Journalist of the Year Scholarship -$100

A motion was passed to purchase a computer to be used by the Membership-Treasurer.

Membership now also open to photojournalism/graphics instructors and literary arts magazines.

-Updated by Faith Harris, January, 2001

1987-88

OFFICERS:

President: Bert Reynolds

Vice-President: Patty Muller

Past President: Gary Lentz

Recording Secretary: Ann Manley

Membership-Treasurer: Colleen DiBiase

In-Service: LaDonna Lovett

Contests and Awards: Dianne Braden

Workshop Director: Bill DeCoursey

Area Coordinators: Dorian Trajan, Yvonne Johnson, Yvonne Lopez, Mark Newton, Patty Muller

JEA State Director: Michael Fox

Forest Martin Award: Jan Watson

Fall Convention: Diane Houpt was the chair.  Oct. 28 at Glendale Community College

Spring Convention:  Peggy Gregory and Lynn Karns were chairs.  April 22 and 24 at the Phoenix Sheraton. Steve Benson was the keynote speaker

AIPA Summer Workshop:

Board Business:

One proposed change included  raising the membership dues from $9 for each publication to $25 for each publication

Formed committee to officially react to Hazelwood.  Patty Muller and Michael J. Fox were co-chairs

Membership 85 members; 60 schools

On Feb. 12, 1988 AIPA received letter from the Tempe Police Department. Detective Pete Chapas of the Criminal Investigation Bureau investigated the missing funds for a year and as a result of the above, Detective Chapas was able to identify someone as having taken the money.  Detective Chapas, however, was not able to establish that there was intent to defraud. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office as consulted and a determination was made that no criminal prosecution would be sought.

Bill DeCoursey resigned as Workshop Director.

Michael J. Fox resigned as JEA State Director; Ray Slye, Shadow Mountain High School, succeeded him

A motion was passed to end AIPA’s association with CAC and end the stipend paid to John Sowers.

A motion was passed to nominate Freeman Hover for a Lifetime Achievement JEA Award

-Updated by Faith Harris, January, 2001

1988-89

OFFICERS:

President: Sandy Finerman

Vice-President: Diane Houpt

Past President: Bert Reynolds

Recording Secretary:  Anne Manley

Treasurer:  Colleen DiBiase

In-Service: Faith Harris

Contests: Gary Lentz

Workshop Director: Michael Fox

JEA State Director: Peggy Gregory

Area Coordinators: Kate Glenn, Carmen Wendt, Jan Watson, Bert Reynolds, Peggy Gregory

Forest Martin Award: Gary Lentz

Fall Convention:  Diane Houpt was chair. AIPA held a two-day convention beginning on Oct. 21 at the Holiday Inn Holidome in Phoenix. Governor Rose Mofford spoke on drug policy. John Cutsinger was the keynote speaker  $25 pre-registration fee; $30 on-site fee. 450 students attended

Spring Convention:  March 10 -11 at NAU  Bob Grossman was chair.  320 students and 46 advisers in attendance.

AIPA Summer Workshop:  Michael J. Fox was director.  Held at NAU Aug. 4-10.  106 students attended.

Board Business:

Membership-56 schools including 50 newspapers and 31 yearbooks

Motion was passed for AIPA to obtain $1 million liability insurance through Ohio Casualty beginning January 24, 1989.

A motion was passed to create a scholarship for student participation in AIPA’s activities.

The books closed on Oct. 31, 1988 and a financial statement and certificate of disclosure was prepared and was to be mailed b y Feb. 15, 1989 to the Arizona Corporation commission for AIPAs non-profit status.

JEA  is pushing for national certification of journalism teachers.

JEA Spring-San Francisco and Fall- Washington, D.C.

-Updated by Faith Harris, January, 2001

1989-90

OFFICERS:

President: Sandy Finerman

Vice-President: Carmen Wendt

Past President: Bert Reynolds

Recording Secretary: Anne Manley

Treasurer: Colleen DiBiase

In-Service: Faith Harris

Contests: Gary Lentz

Workshop Director: Michael Fox

JEA State Director: Peggy Gregory

Area Coordinators: Kate Glenn, Jan Watson, Linda Zello, Peggy Gregory

Forest Martin Award:  Bert Reynolds

Fall Convention:  Hal Hjalmarson was the chair.  Held on Oct. 11 and 12,1989 at Metro Tech Vocational High School.  The focus was to aid staffs in making the transition into the computer age and to help solve the problems the ‘90s will bring.  Fees were $25 for pre-registration and $30 for on-site registration.

Spring Convention:  Sheila Carter

AIPA Summer Workshop:  Michael J. Fox was director. Held on Aug.5-9.

Board Business:

The Arizona Republic and Phoenix Gazette newspapers donated $5,000 and offered to help provide scholarship money and pay for the student and adult lunch, provide a daily newspaper and name badges at the Spring Convention.

It is recommended that AIPA  divide Treasurer and Membership position into two positions

-Updated by Faith Harris, January, 2001